Turning Pensacola Blue with Meghan McCarthy (Part 1)

Quint Studer on “Early Learning” at the Skatepark
December 5, 2016
Music Matters: Festivus Concert to Benefit Skatepark – Pensacola News Journal
December 25, 2016

Meghan McCarthy has a vision to turn Pensacola Blue. “We are almost the least healthy county in Florida,” she said. “At what point are we going to get angry.”

A Blue Zone is a place where people live a measurably longer, more healthy life. Cities that have gone Blue have experienced dramatic health changes as a result.

Meghan’s plan involves starts with a shared vision of what a healthier Pensacola looks and feels like, and having Blue “pockets” throughout our community. We are working with Meghan and Baptist Hospital to make the skatepark one of these pockets.

What makes the Blue Zones so healthy? There are many factors.  They are called the Power 9:

  1. Move Naturally- Don’t think marathons, think gardening and walking.
  2. Have a Purpose- It is the reason you wake up every day.
  3. Down Shift – This requires the ability to manage our stress.
  4. 80% Rule – Eat until you are 80% full.
  5. Plant Slant – Make plants the center of your diet.
  6. Wine at 5 – One serving of alcohol daily with food and friends.
  7. Belong – Being part of a faith-based community.
  8. Loved Ones First – Invest in family with time and love.
  9. Right Tribe – Have social circles that support healthy behaviors.

What they all center on is that our environment is very powerful. If the healthy choice is the easiest choice, we are accidently healthier.

Some people think that the major factor of how long you live is your genes, but research has shown that genes only account for 20%. The other 80% is lifestyle.

To learn more about Blue Zones visit www.bluezones.com